Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Watching my energy intake

This week's blog assignment was a bit of a difficult one. I was to go 24 hours with as little electricity usage as possible. A simple task in theory, but in today's technology dependent world I was sort of at a loss of how to handle certain things. The guidelines were to turn of and unplug all unused appliances and do not use more than is necessary, drive as little as possible, short showers, cold water when washing clothing, and no phones or computer or radio...! Needless to say that last bit was the most difficult. I did this assignment one Tuesday May 1st. Now my phone is usually my alarm clock so the night before I asked the lady I live with, Beth, to wake me up at a decent time. My first class didn't start until 11 because we had a test so I set to work finding and unplugging all unused appliances such as the toaster, coffee maker, rarely used lamps, etc. I got a few questions and snide remarks today about why nothing was working in the house, all jokingly (I think...). It was a nice cool day out so I opened a few of the windows to keep the house cool. The house has a house fan that draws air from outside the house in that I turned on at night, I am told it is relatively energy efficient. I do not honestly know what is the more energy efficient method of cooking, with electricity or gas, but I opted to make breakfast using the gas stove. I made my coffee using my french press and had some fruit and toast for breakfast so I wouldn't have to cook too much. I live 2 blocks away from RCC's campus so I walked to class, all the while resisting the urge to check my phone. After class I walked back home to find the mail waiting for me. I got a birthday card from my mom along with a gift which made the temptation not to use my phone to call her quite difficult. I also received in the mail my financial aid package from my first pick school which made things very difficult. First I wanted to call and text everyone to share my delight, then I wanted to go on the internet and look up what some of the info actually meant (it can be a bit confusing). Luckily I had work to keep me busy. I took a short shower and let my hair air dry. I usually have to blow dry it but I had some time before I had to leave. I opted out of straightening it as well like I usually do. I had to drive to work in Corona seeing as I do not know the bus schedule and unfortunately no one I know goes out that direction to carpool with. After work I usually watch a show or movie until I am tired enough for bed, instead I sat in bed with my nightstand lamp on and played Sudoku for a bit. Trust me, gets you tired quick.

There are a few things that I did in this assignment that would be an easy step to continue doing. Things such as unplugging my toaster and coffee maker are simple. Making sure all lights are off when not used and taking short showers is mostly about being conscious of  it. I could change my habits up a bit and let my hair air dry more often and straighten it less often. I could definitely unplug my phone charger when it is not in use, something I am particularly bad at. Reading or doing puzzles is probably a much better habit to get into at night than watching a show so I could make sure I set aside at least a few nights for this. Sudoku is addicting. Some of the things I do not think I would like to change is not using my phone or the internet. I understand the benefit of limiting my usage, but moments like the ones that I had from getting my mail are the heart of the reason I personally have the technology I have. It did make me appreciate being able to contact a person at any give time or look something up from my house in an instant. In regard to the house I live in i think the best things that we can do are utilize the house fan, close windows and curtains when it is hot out, and be aware of our light and AC usage. Some of the areas of the house do not have insulation seeing as it is an older house, so that is definitely something that can be accomplished given enough money to do it. The kitchen was just redone and insulation and better appliances such as an energy efficient fridge were just put in so we are on a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment